New IP Study Shows 69 Percent of Media Industry Respondents Will Have Active IP Projects by Mid-2019
- Grass Valley Global IP Barometer confirms a strong industry desire to invest in open IP based solutions
- 43 percent of media industry respondents already have IP deployments underway
- The need for improved infrastructure flexibility is the leading business priority driving IP migration
MONTREAL, November 28, 2018 — Grass Valley, a Belden Brand, has unveiled its 2018 Global IP Barometer study, which reveals key insights about the progress of the media industry's migration to IP.
Supported by the input of approximately 750 media industry professionals from around the world, Grass Valley has found strong indications that the industry's transition to IP is moving in a positive direction, albeit at a slower pace than some had previously anticipated.
"Two years ago, it was clear that the industry recognized and understood how central IP was going to become to workflows and new, innovative ways of working, yet the market lacked the confidence to invest in IP solutions. Now, we're seeing more broadcasters, OB companies and service providers forging ahead with adopting IP — or making concrete plans to do so within the next nine months. Hearing directly from customers and prospects alike provides us with greater insight into the support the industry needs during the shift," said Neil Maycock, vice president, global marketing at Grass Valley.
Open Standards is the Favored Approach
- Out of five key technology considerations listed, almost half of all respondents ranked an open standards approach as the most important.
- 30 percent of respondents indicated that a seamless IP and SDI control system is the second highest priority in terms of technological considerations.
- Respondents preferred working with best-of-breed vendors over a single lead vendor by more than a two-to-one margin, further evidence of the desire for open standards and their inherent interoperability.
Flexibility and Cost Driving the Shift to IP
- 43 percent of respondents have IP deployments underway and a further 26 percent plan to start projects within the next nine months.
- The need for improved infrastructure flexibility was cited as the leading business priority driving the shift to IP.
- A hybrid approach is favored by 67 percent of respondents, which most likely reflects cost concerns coupled with a desire to re-deploy existing SDI equipment.
- 32 percent of respondents indicated that cost is now the top concern when considering a move to IP, up from 27 percent as identified in the 2017 Global IP Barometer.
- The concern about IP compromising the quality of production, however, has decreased from 31 percent in 2017 to 22 percent in 2018, a reflection of successful IP installations coming online across the world.
Skills Training Remains Critical
- 38 percent of surveyed Americans and 36 percent of surveyed European respondents believe they have the right skills in place to manage an IP migration, up from 36 percent and 28 percent, respectively, of those surveyed in 2017.
- 50 percent of surveyed Americans and 55 percent of surveyed Europeans believe they 'partially' have the required skills to manage an IP migration, compared to 47 percent and 56 percent in 2017, indicating that education and training are still critical to the success of IP.
- Although there is still a need to bridge the IP skills gap, over three quarters (77 percent) of all respondents plan to address this by training their current staff internally. Only 14 percent indicated they will bring in specialist consultants to support the transition to IP, compared to 22 percent in 2017.
"It is very positive to see momentum behind the IP transition, that's certainly being reflected in the projects we're deploying," Maycock continued. "It is also encouraging to note that the skills gap is recognised and is actively being addressed across the industry. Grass Valley has adopted close customer partnerships to help bridge the skills gap, and used our extensive experience to simplify IP system deployment, without sacrificing the open standard architectures and flexible migration our customers are seeking."
About This Report
The research is based on approximately 750 responses from media industry professionals globally with a third coming from the US, another third from Europe and the rest from Asia Pacific, LATAM and the Middle East.
Notes to Editors
For information about Grass Valley solutions and services, please visit grassvalley.com.
About Grass Valley
Grass Valley is focused on empowering customers to create, control and connect content wherever, however and whenever it is consumed. In this ever-changing media landscape, content remains the most important element. Many of our customers are faced with the need to create and support new workflows while continuing to operate their legacy workflows, simultaneously broadcasting through traditional channels, Over-The-Top platforms, and Video-On-Demand as well as to tablets, PCs, and mobile devices.
We provide the innovative tools and expertise to help customers improve the efficiency of their operations while telling better stories to attract and keep viewers. With Grass Valley's integrated solutions that enable flexibility, efficiency, cost-effectiveness, quality and scalability, broadcasters and content creators have what they need to sustain their businesses. Headquartered in Montreal, Grass Valley has been in the broadcast business for nearly 60 years and is part of St. Louis-based Belden Inc. For more information, visit www.belden.com.
Belden, Belden Sending All The Right Signals, and the Belden logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Belden Inc. or its affiliated companies in the United States and other jurisdictions. Grass Valley products listed above are trademarks or registered trademarks of Belden Inc., GVBB Holdings S.A.R.L. or Grass Valley Canada. Belden Inc., GVBB Holdings S.A.R.L., Grass Valley Canada and other parties may also have trademark rights in other terms used herein.
Media Relations Specialist
Want more information? Well, you’re in the right place! Complete the form below and we’ll be in contact ASAP.