Video Production & Content Management System
In a newsroom environment, the key to success is how quickly things get done. To meet the demands of this time-sensitive publishing environment, creative talent must work together in an efficient workflow that gets stories to air first. GV STRATUS is a video production and content management toolset that simplifies workflows with a combination of intelligent tools and powerful customization. GV STRATUS enables collaboration where everyone has access to every clip on the network with the tools required to manage content.
- User permissions provide access rights and control for groups and users to read, write, delete or be denied access to media content
- User permissions can also be applied to any metadata field in the system, including custom fields:
- Manage and protect your valuable content with permissions tailored to every user or group in your facility
- Manage assets by configuring bins/folders to best suit particular workflows; create GV STRATUS Groups to manage production assets in “Virtual Folders” the way you want to organize your media
- High-resolution or proxy access to shared storage content:
- Three standard proxy compression qualities available, up to 720p HD, as standard
- Custom proxy sizes are supported, from 320x280 to 1920x1080 resolution, up to 15 Mb/s
- 32-channel audio proxy support (for proxy files scavenged by GVRE Transcoder)
- Powerful search functions — including search for “Is Empty” in all fields
- Set and monitor file system-based quotas
- Create custom panels for logging assets live or post event
- Play assets and add markers and keywords
- Efficiently assemble and edit playlists
- Storyboard editing with instant on-air playback
- Review, create and add metadata
External Media Management
- Prepare and publish assets to external media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube, then track and manage your content from within GV STRATUS
- Interfaces with Verizon Uplynk CMS for downstream SDI live streaming
- Rules engine foundation enables auto-rule actions to automate workflow tasks
- Assignment list tools with linkage to a wide range of NRCS and playout via GV Rundown
- Growing file workflows end-to-end, including through GVRE Transcoder – getting any content into production and to air quicker than anyone else
- Feed ingest scheduler with read-only mode for non-ingest operators
- User-friendly operations of K2 media server channels
- Transfer scheduler facilitates the pre-planned movement of content to offline or removable storage, or to other network destinations
- Live streaming proxy monitoring of input and output of K2 channels
- Populate and ingest files from multiple removable media devices
- Rules engine allows user-friendly set up of automated workflows to transfer, export, import, transcode and delete assets, according to specific criteria
- Manage transfer, import and export of files, including integration with file transfer acceleration solutions, such as Aspera FASP protocol
- Import/export QuickTime, MXF and GXF files
- Export native H.264 proxy with up to 1920x1080 resolution without transcoding
- Aspera integration allows media to be transferred across geographically distributed locations via the FASP high-speed transport mechanism
- Choice of mainstream craft editors: Grass Valley EDIUS, Adobe Premiere Pro CC, Avid Media Composer (standalone, with Avid ISIS or Avid Interplay) and Apple Final Cut Pro 7
- EDIUS XS editing of proxy assets with offline media — allows low-resolution editing of assets still in the archive
- WAN-based workflows that enable multisite media processing from GV STRATUS clients across distributed facilities and from remote field locations
- EDIUS Project Management: Browse through and search for EDIUS projects and contained sequences from the GV STRATUS navigator
- Share work/projects among different editors
- Import standalone EDIUS projects as GV STRATUS-managed projects
- RESTful API available to third parties for new tool/application development — support of licensing and support agreements with selected partners and system integrators
- End-to-end virtualization allows GV STRATUS systems to be supplied as VMWARE ESXI images and run on approved customer-furnished hardware and ESXI server infrastructure
- Intelligent background resource management to balance the load between service providers such as transcode engines, proxy encoders, archive providers, FTP transfer servers, etc., so that system resources are always optimized and system administrators can monitor system load
GV STRATUS Low-Resolution Client Workstation
Minimum: Intel Core i3 mid-range processors or equivalent and above
Minimum: 4 GB RAM
Direct 3D 9+ support
Minimum: 1 GB of free space
Single Ethernet 1000 Base-T network interface
- Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
- Microsoft Windows 10 64-bit (except for RMI seats)
Microsoft .NET Framework
Version 4.7.1 and VS2017
GV STRATUS High-Resolution Workstation
These requirements apply to a PC running the following:
- The GV STRATUS application with a high-resolution media workflow (requires access to high-resolution assets)
- The EDIUS Workgroup application with a high-resolution media workflow (requires access to high-resolution assets)
Recommended: Intel Core i7 4 Core 4 GHz (desktop-grade machines)
Recommended: Intel Xeon E5-2630 Quad Core 2.4 GHz (workstation-grade machines)
Minimum: 8 GB RAM
Recommended: 16 GB RAM
Integrated or discrete graphics with Direct 3D 9 or better
256 GB SSD drive recommended
1 TB 7,200 RPM hard drive (if SSD not available)
Dual Ethernet 1000 Base-T network interface
Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 64-bit
Note: 64-bit required for EDIUS Workgroup
Microsoft .NET Framework
DirectX 9 compatible
GV STRATUS Web Client
These minimum requirements apply to a device running the following:
- The GV STRATUS web client
Recommended: Google Chrome
Any HTML5 web browser should provide support
Frame accurate streaming
Browser must support webRTC
GV STRATUS system must be licensed with GV STRATUS Streaming Server
NTSC, 525/59.94 (240, 248 or 256 active lines per field)
PAL, 625/50 (288 active lines per field)
HD 1080i/720p 50/60 Hz
Proxy: MPEG-4, 1 Mb/s for video and 64 kb/s for each audio track (up to 8)
- Low: 512x288, H.264, 1 Mb/s (pre-version 4.x proxy quality)
- Medium: 720x480, H.264, 3 Mb/s
- High: 1280x720, H.264, 5 Mb/s
Custom proxy sizes are supported, from 320x280 to 1920x1080 resolution, up to 15 Mb/s
This section describes the modular components that comprise a GV STRATUS system. These components interact with the video server and storage infrastructure, to form combinations of solutions that best meet user-specific technical, operational and business requirements.
GV STRATUS Clients
Designed as one application capable of supporting many different usage models, a GV STRATUS client can be configured for every type of user in a media facility, whether for feed scheduling, storyboard editing, channel control, media management or playlist playout. The GV STRATUS tools function as a client to GV STRATUS Core Services, running on a standard Windows operating system computer.
If the PC is connected as an iSCSI client to the K2 SAN (or as a CIFS high-resolution client in a supported commodity-based storage system), the GV STRATUS tools and the EDIUS Workgroup editors have access to high-resolution media. This requires a high-resolution GV STRATUS license.
If the GV STRATUS client PC is not connected as an iSCSI client (or does not have a high resolution client license), such as on a distributed K2 system, the GV STRATUS tools and the EDIUS XS editors access low-resolution live streaming (across the network from the video servers) and proxy media (from the GV STRATUS Proxy server in the Core of the system).
The GV STRATUS web client connects to the Core Services and provides access to many of the same services.
GV STRATUS Servers
These servers are the primary devices that support GV STRATUS system functionality and services. They can be configured in a variety of ways to support the use case requirements of specific environments.
Variants of GV STRATUS servers include the following:
GV STRATUS Express Server— A GV STRATUS server with all the roles necessary for a basic GV STRATUS system, including the role of Proxy Express server. This server is designed for use on smaller GV STRATUS systems where no other GV STRATUS servers or proxy systems are present.
GV STRATUS Core Server— A GV STRATUS server that has the role of Core Services on a system with multiple GV STRATUS servers. The server provides media management functionality, including the GV STRATUS database and associated software components.
Proxy Server— The GV STRATUS server combined with an online or production K2 SAN that provides access to the low-resolution proxy media stored on the SAN. The server has the role of Proxy Storage server and shared file system client.
Proxy Storage File System Server— The GV STRATUS server on a dedicated Proxy Storage system that provides access to the low-resolution proxy media stored on the system. The server has the roles of Proxy Storage server and Shared File System server for the Proxy Storage system.
GV STRATUS Render Engine— A server dedicated to performing proxy encoding, conform and rendering services, to transcode complex assets, such as a GV STRATUS sequence, into a single clip. This service also renders EDIUS projects when exported or sent to playout.
Workflow Server — A GV STRATUS server dedicated to hosting the Workflow Engine service, the Rules Engine service and the Transcode Control Engine service. These services support rules-based operations.
Fault Tolerant (FT) GV STRATUS Server— An enhanced platform designed to reduce the risk of system failure in mission-critical media production environments. Fault tolerant server options are available for all the physical Core Server variants, with the exception of the Core Server Express.
GV STRATUS Storage Manager— A server dedicated to managing the storage file system database within a qualified third-party storage system. The Storage Manager is analogous to the File System Manager in a K2 SAN system. Available only as a Fault Tolerant server package.
GV STRATUS Storage Gateway— A server dedicated to managing FTP access to the storage files system within a qualified third-party storage system. Storage Gateways are analogous to the FTP (NH) server in a K2 SAN system. Available in non-redundant and Fault Tolerant server package options, multiple Storage Gateway servers can be present in a GV STRATUS system.
GV STRATUS Commodity Storage Solutions
Fault Tolerant K2 Storage Manager for third-party storage
Fault Tolerant K2 Storage Gateway for third-party storage
K2 Storage Gateway (FTP Server) for third-party storage
Virtual K2 Storage Manager for third-party storage
Virtual K2 Storage Gateway (FTP Server) for third-party storage
GV STRATUS GVRE Transcoder
Software upgrade to enable XRE Transcoder features on Grass Valley Render Engine servers and integration into GV STRATUS Rules. Requires Rules and Xcode site licenses
GV STRATUS External Media Engines
GV STRATUS External Media Engine Platform license, supports uploads to Verizon CMS
GV STRATUS External Media Engine Platform license, supports uploads to Facebook
GV STRATUS External Media Engine Platform license, supports uploads to Twitter
GV STRATUS External Media Engine Platform license, supports uploads to YouTube
GV STRATUS Virtualization
GV STRATUS server components supplied as VMWARE ESXI images to run on approved customer-furnished hardware and ESXI server infrastructure.
GV STRATUS Upgrade and Migration Packages
Hardware and Windows Server 2012 upgrade for K2-SVR-100 through K2-SVR-800 Servers
Hardware and Windows Server 2012 upgrade for K2-SVR-NH10GE Servers
Hardware and Windows Server 2012 upgrade for STRATUS-CS-CE, STRATUS-CS-CE-ENG, STRATUS-CS-XRE and STRATUS-CS-RE Servers
Hardware, Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 upgrade for STRATUS-CS-Express
Hardware, Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 upgrade for STRATUS-CS-A1, STRATUS-CS-B1 and STRATUS-CS-C1 Core Servers. Two units required for STRATUS-CS-C1 systems
Hardware, Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 upgrade for STRATUS-CS-A1-FT, STRATUS-CS-B1-FT and STRATUS-CS-C1-FT Core Servers. Two units required for STRATUS-CS-C1-FT systems
Physical to Virtual Upgrade for STRATUS-CS-Express systems, includes Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 upgrades
Physical to Virtual Upgrade for STRATUS-CS-A1 and STRATUS-CS-A1-FT systems, includes Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 upgrades
Physical to Virtual Upgrade for STRATUS-CS-B1 and STRATUS-CS-B1-FT systems include Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 upgrades
Physical to Virtual Upgrade for STRATUS-CS-C1-FT systems, includes Windows Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014 upgrades
Physical to Virtual Upgrade for STRATUS-CS-CE, STRATUS-CS-CE-ENG, STRATUS-CS-XRE and STRATUS-CS-RE Servers, includes Windows Server 2012
Physical to Virtual Upgrade for STRATUS Proxy servers in A1, B1, C1 systems
DOCUMENTS & DOWNLOADS
Modular video production and content management toolset for ingest, editing, distribution, archive and retrieval management. User benefits include better efficiency through workflow automation, ease of use, and scalability — all combining to make GV STRATUS a prime enabler for producing more content, faster.
Cloud technologies are becoming more common for media asset management tools. Many GV STRATUS users are looking for ways to improve collaboration between teams by federating content across sites, but are reticent to move everything to the cloud in one step.
As the demand for new content continues to increase, media organizations must find strategies to improve the efficiency of content production from creation to distribution.
Want more information? Well, you’re in the right place! Complete the form below and we’ll be in contact ASAP